RESET is a data-driven and performance-based standard for healthy and sustainable buildings. It focuses on continuous monitoring of indoor air quality (IAQ) and other environmental factors that affect the health and well-being of occupants. RESET certification can help you improve your building’s performance, attract and retain tenants, reduce operational costs, and demonstrate your commitment to sustainability. This blog post will explain RESET certification, why it matters, how it works, and what you must do to achieve it for your commercial building.
What is RESET Certification?
RESET stands for Regenerative Ecological, Social, and Economic Targets. It is a set of standards and tools that measure and communicate the health performance of buildings and interiors. RESET certification is based on real-time data collected by sensors and streamed to the cloud, where it is verified and displayed.
RESET certification has two main categories: Embodied and Operational. Embodied standards cover the data associated with the construction processes and materials used in buildings and interiors. Operational standards cover the data associated with the continuous operations of buildings and interiors, such as air quality, water use, energy consumption, and waste management.
Within each category, different modules can be certified separately or together. For example, within the Operational category are five modules: Air, Water, Energy, Waste, and Circularity. Each module has its own requirements, targets, and benefits.
Why Does RESET Certification Matter?
RESET certification matters because it helps you create healthier and more sustainable buildings that benefit both people and the planet. Here are some of the benefits of achieving RESET certification for your commercial building:
- Healthier occupants: RESET certification ensures that your building provides optimal indoor air quality and comfort for your occupants, which can improve their health, productivity, satisfaction, and loyalty.
- Lower operational costs: RESET certification helps you optimise your building’s performance and efficiency, which can reduce your energy consumption, water use, waste generation, and maintenance costs.
- Higher market value: RESET certification demonstrates your building’s quality and sustainability, which can increase its attractiveness, occupancy rate, rental income, and resale value.
- Better reputation: RESET certification showcases your leadership and innovation in the green building industry, which can enhance your brand image, credibility, and competitiveness.
How Does RESET Certification Work?
RESET certification follows a standardised methodology that ensures data quality, transparency, and comparability. Here are the main steps involved in achieving RESET certification for your commercial building:
- Choose a module: You can choose one or more modules from the Operational category relevant to your project’s goals and needs. For example, you can choose the Air module to improve your building’s indoor air quality.
- Select a monitor: You must use a monitor that RESET accredits to collect and report data for the chosen module. The monitor must meet certain specifications, such as accuracy, reliability, display, connectivity, mounting, etc.
- Install the monitor: You need to install the monitor according to the RESET guidelines, which specify the location, height, orientation, distance from walls or windows, etc. The monitor must be calibrated before installation and regularly maintained afterwards.
- Stream the data: The monitor must stream the data to the RESET Assessment Cloud via a Data Provider that RESET accredits, like ZiggyTec. The data must be streamed at least once every 10 minutes for at least 90% of the time during the certification period.
- Meet the targets: The data must meet the targets set by RESET for the chosen module. The targets vary depending on the module but are generally based on international standards or best practices. For example, for the Air module, the targets are based on WHO guidelines for PM2.5 (fine particulate matter), TVOC (total volatile organic compounds), CO2 (carbon dioxide), temperature, and humidity.
- Display the results: The results must be displayed to the occupants via a dashboard or an app that shows the status of each parameter measured by the monitor. The results must also be displayed publicly via a QR code or a URL that links to the RESET website.
- Maintain the certification: The certification is valid for one year from the date of issuance. To maintain the certification, you must keep streaming the data to the cloud and meeting the targets for each parameter. You also need to renew your subscription with the Data Provider every year.
How to Achieve RESET Certification for Your Commercial Building?
Achieving RESET certification for your commercial building is not difficult if you follow these steps:
- Contact a RESET Accredited Professional: A RESET Accredited Professional (AP) is a person who has completed a training course on how to implement RESET projects. A RESET AP can help you choose the right module(s), monitor(s), and Data Provider(s) for your project. They can also help you with the installation, commissioning, verification, and project documentation. You can find a list of RESET APs on the RESET website.
- Register your project: Register your project on the RESET website and pay a registration fee. The fee depends on the size and type of your project, but it is generally affordable and competitive compared to other green building certifications. The fee covers access to the RESET Assessment Cloud, the certification review, and the certification issuance.
- Implement your project: You need to implement your project according to the RESET guidelines and with the help of your RESET AP. You must install the monitor(s), stream the data to the cloud, meet the targets, and display the results. You also need to document your project and submit it for review.
- Get certified: Once your project meets the requirements and passes the review, you will receive a certificate and a plaque from RESET that you can display in your building. You will also be listed on the RESET website as a certified project. You can use the RESET logo and name to promote your building’s health and sustainability.
RESET certification is a data-driven and performance-based standard for healthy and sustainable buildings. It focuses on continuous monitoring of indoor air quality and other environmental factors that affect the health and well-being of occupants. RESET certification can help you improve your building’s performance, attract and retain tenants, reduce operational costs, and demonstrate your commitment to sustainability.
If you want to achieve RESET certification for your commercial building, you must choose a module, select a monitor, install the monitor, stream the data, meet the targets, display the results, and maintain the certification. You also need to contact a RESET Accredited Professional, register your project, implement your project, and get certified.
If you follow these steps, RESET certification is not difficult or expensive. It is a worthwhile investment that can bring you many benefits in terms of health, efficiency, value, and reputation.